Tacoma is a city that loves art, parks, and food - from museum visits to walks along Ruston Way and bar hopping on 6th Ave – Tacoma has it all. Since you’re here for a short time, we’ll make sure you’ll have a good time. Check out what this exciting region has to offer.
Are you looking for a fun diversion or a unique local experience? Tacoma is a great place for all kinds of activities. Whether you’re an arts enthusiast, foodie, nature lover, or just someone looking for a weekend adventure, you’re sure to find something that excites you nearby.
Here are some of our favorite things to do near the Tacoma Convention Center:
Fun Things To Do In Tacoma
- See animals and marine life at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
- Walk the Ruston Waterfront or rent specialty bikes at Wheel Fun Rentals and cruise down the waterfront.
- Visit the Museum of Glass, where you can watch a live demonstration of glassblowing or try it yourself by enrolling in one of their workshops.
- Visit the LeMay Car Museum to see beautiful antique cars.
- Visit the Washington State History Museum to learn about our state.
- Visit the Tacoma Art Museum and see the museum’s collection of more than 5,000 works that emphasize the Northwest.
- Visit Tower Lanes for 24 hours of bowling and indoor mini-golfing.
- Visit Dorky’s Bar Arcade to experience nostalgic games like Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter for only a quarter.
- Visit Tacoma’s oldest local movie theater, The Grand Cinema, for the freshest popcorn and the cheapest movie tickets in town.
- Catch a comedy show at Tacoma Comedy Club.
- Go paddleboarding at Jack Hyde Park (must make an appointment with Dolan’s Board Sport to rent a paddleboard).
- Experience old Tacoma at the B&I Public Marketplace on South Tacoma Way.
- Have a picnic in Wright Park and visit the W.W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory to see tropical plants.
- Visit Stadium High School where “10 Things I Hate About You” was filmed. Yes, Heath Ledger has walked those grounds – RIP.
- Catch a show or concert at Washington’s largest indoor venue, the Tacoma Dome.
- Visit Mount Rainer, walk around the resort, ski or snowboard, and ride Mt. Rainier Gondola.
- Go zip-lining at the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park if you’re brave enough.
- Visit Chambers Bay and watch the sunset, the Chambers Bay Golf Course was the first public course to host a U.S. Amateur.
- Go swimming, sun-bathing, or kayaking at Owen Beach in Point Defiance Park.
- Visit Hidden Beach located near Titlow Park to get a good view of the Famous Tacoma Narrows.
- Bridge AKA Galloping Gertie that came crashing down in the ‘40s.
- Walk down 6th Ave, check out local restaurants, thrift stores, and hobby shops in that district.
- Visit the newly revitalized Lincoln District located on 38th Street, sample the variety of Asian cuisine, and check out the local gift shops that are filled with inexpensive Asian goodies.
- Visit the largest bookstore in Washington State – Tacoma Book Center, located on E 26th St.
- Visit Tacoma’s Antique Row on Broadway to find vintage goodies.
- Download the Geocaching app and start hunting for those hide-and-seek containers full of goodies.
- Stop by Tacoma Boys, grab a couple of locally made IPAs, and head to Owen’s Beach.
- Grab a beautifully crafted cocktail at Top of Tacoma.
- Grab a beer and a hot dog at Red Hots on 6th Ave.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth, grab a treat at Corina’s Bakery, next to The Grand Cinema.
- Go roller-skating at Rollin’ 253.
- Grab some authentic Mexican food from Ricos Taco food truck on Center St.
- Experience the beauty of the Puget Sound by parasailing over it, make your reservation through The Ram.
Want more ideas? Contact our staff for more suggestions and information about upcoming events. We’re here to help conference attendees have an amazing experience in Tacoma.